Traveling? You've got coverage
Traveling and find you need health care? WellFirst Health members are covered for urgent and emergency care worldwide. Regardless of where you travel, you don’t need to take health care coverage worries with you on vacation. We have you covered.
You do not need a referral or prior authorization for urgent or emergency services — no matter where you travel:
- WellFirst Health covers urgent and emergency services while you are outside of our service area (subject to policy copays, coinsurance, deductibles and maximum allowable fees).
- Out-of-network services are from doctors, hospitals, and other health care professionals that have not contracted with your plan. A health care professional who is out of your plan network can set a higher cost for a service than professionals who are in your health plan network. Depending on the health care professional, the service could cost more or not be paid for at all by your plan. Charging this extra amount is called balance billing.
- If you require urgent or emergency care outside the service area and are unable to get to a plan provider, go to the nearest urgent care or emergency center for treatment. It is important to notify WellFirst Health as soon as possible by calling the Customer Care Center.
- All follow-up care should be done by a plan provider. If you are out of the area and unable to see a plan provider, call your primary care practitioner for a referral to an out-of-area provider. These services require approval by WellFirst Health.
In most cases, claims are submitted directly to WellFirst Health by the providers or clinics. On occasion, if you’re traveling out of the area or have a college-age dependent, for example, it may be necessary for you to submit a claim for reimbursement. When submitting the claim, be sure to follow these guidelines:
- Send an itemized bill from the provider of service. If services were received outside of the U.S., you will need to submit the original bill along with an itemized bill that has been translated into English and indicate the appropriate currency exchange rate at the time the services were received.
- Send the bill within 60 days after the services are received to: WellFirst Health, Attn: Claims Department, P.O. Box 56099, Madison, WI 53705.
If you have another insurance company that is the primary payer, you will need to send the EOB to WellFirst Health or your health care provider.