WellFirst Health works with Magellan Healthcare for review and authorization of our Musculoskeletal (MSK) Care Management Program. This includes prior authorization by the treating physician for non-emergent inpatient and outpatient musculoskeletal surgeries, specifically hip, knee, shoulder and lumbar and cervical spine.
This new program incorporates the following key components:
- All WellFirst Health product lines will use the Musculoskeletal (MSK) Care Management Program
- Magellan’s Musculoskeletal (MSK) Care Management Program manages the medical necessity review for non-emergent inpatient and outpatient musculoskeletal surgeries through physician authorization, prior to performing the surgery.
- Members who require the services of a provider who is not a WellFirst Health Network provider may require two authorizations. The initial authorization will need to be obtained for the use of the non-network provider via the WellFirst Health Utilization Management Department.
- Authorization may be submitted using Magellan’s website RadMD.com or the Magellan toll-free phone number at 866-232-3955 for procedures scheduled on or after Jan. 1, 2020.
- Musculoskeletal surgeries included in this program are non-emergent hip, knee, shoulder, lumbar and cervical spine surgeries. See a list of MSK-affected CPT codes.
Magellan customer service
You can contact Magellan's customer service representatives Monday through Friday from 7 am to 7 pm (CST) at 866-232-3955.
Additional MSK resources